Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 problem with hot shoe?

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3377 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Fri 27-Jul-12 11:28 PM

I'll preface my question by saying that I own two D700 cameras and my results have moved up to an entirely different level with them. When I transitioned from the D200 to the D700, I assessed it not as an evolutionary change, but a revolutionary one. It raised the bar by an order of magnitude. I am neither a Nikon hater nor a D700 disliker. I love both.

But now -- my problem. My second D700 body is off for service, including replacing the hot shoe because of problems with communication between the camera and SB-800 flashes. I was informed today that I am in for a hot shoe replacement on this body and when I asked if that was unusual, I was informed that this has not been an unusual repair -- they have replaced "a lot" of them.

Again, I am not complaining about my D700 cameras -- just their hot shoes -- and I think it is high time that Nikon acknowledges there is possibly a problem. In the meantime, I am going to get a flash bracket of some sort and move my SB800s off of the hot shoe, both to move the light source farther from the lens axis and to take the strain, that it appears the camera cannot take.

I'm not calling for a revolt or a march on Nikon or a class-action suit. I have no thought of changing brands or replacing either of my bodies or anything else rash. But I'd be interested in other D700 users' experiences with their hot shoes and Nikon flashes on same. This marks the 3rd repair I have needed on a D700 -- and that is the third Nikon body I have had to have repaired in 40+ years -- two times now for hot shoes. Coincidence?

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 problem with hot shoe?

G