Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700--D3 price differential

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Wed 13-Jun-12 03:31 AM | edited Wed 13-Jun-12 03:34 AM by ZoneV

Looking through the sell forum, the average used price these days for a D700 (no vertical grip) seems to be around $1800 US, and a D3, $2800. So there appears to be a ~ $1,000 difference between the two right now.

-Would you say the above is accurate?

-What were their respective prices this time a year ago?

-What do you see happening to the price differential over the next year? Do you see it getting smaller? Larger? Staying about the same? Why?

The D700 used price seems to be influenced by the price of a new one ($2200)...80% of the price of a new one.

Does anyone see it dropping to $1500 next year, maybe? Like if Nikon introduces a D600 that costs ~$2000 as suggested in the rumors.

I'm thinking about all this because if prices continue to drop, I might look at these very similar FX bodies with the idea of buying one next year. But most likely the D3 will remain out of my price range, while the D700 could conceivably drop close to it. And since the two cameras are so similar in the important aspects, the D700 is a viable alternative if you can't swing the cost of a D3.

Nikon user since 2000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700--D3 price differential