Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Max write speed of the Compact Flash card

alphaod

Shanghai, CN
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alphaod Registered since 23rd Nov 2008
Wed 30-May-12 01:43 AM

In the past, I usually buy the fastest card they sell. Usually this means the most expensive card, and the top-of-the-line model, so reliability is unquestioned. Since buying these, I've never had a card failure or performance issues *knock on wood*. My conclusion is: to make a fast card, they need excellent drive logic (controller, high quality memory chips, etc.) which makes for a more reliable memory card. I have had cheaper cards fail.

Now I'm looking for a bigger CF card to use, 64GB cards or maybe the 128GB card (does the D700 even support this?), but the speeds are going out there! (I see some going 150MB/s) I know my D700 doesn't write that fast and my card readers, even though UDMA capable aren't able to keep up.

If I want the best reliability, should I still be going for the best (and therefore fastest) cards on the market? Or are they just sort of leveling out in terms of reliability?

In case you're wondering about speed, I'm the spray and pray type

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Max write speed of the Compact Flash card

G