Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700: Shutter release problem.

Bob32

Chico, US
5872 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Sat 14-Apr-12 01:47 PM | edited Sat 14-Apr-12 01:57 PM by Bob32

Last night I shot two volleyball matches with my D700 + 80-200 f/2.8. I was shooting manual exposure at 1/500, f/3.5, and ISO 8,000 at 5 FPS and using the shutter release button for focusing. These settings are typical of what I normally use. For whatever reason the shutter would frequently not release. I guesstimate that this happened about 1/3 of the time when I tried to release the shutter. Ouch! I have never experienced this problem before. I changed the AF-C priority selection from "Release + focus" to "Release" but it didn't help. For focusing I also tried switching the AF activation setting from "Shutter/AF-ON" to "AF-ON only" in order to pre-focus on the net area. That didn't help either. Since buying the 80-200 f/2.8 in November 2010 I have used this body/lens combination to shoot many volleyball games in several different local gyms without ever encountering this issue. At least two of the other gyms have much worse lighting systems than the one in which I was operating last night. The D700 is a little over three years old. The shutter actuation count was 84,000+ when I last checked it two months ago.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what might be the cause of this problem. I'm curious to know if anybody else has encountered this issue and if so what the solution was.

Bob

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700: Shutter release problem.

G