Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Built like a tank.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Tue 10-Apr-12 09:26 PM

I had my first D700 fall the other day. Gasp yes, I know, my stupidity. Oh well, kinda like the first door ding on a new car but I digress.

I was in the city (San Francisco) by the Ferry Building and had to you the facilities and decided to take off my sweater. So I hung the camera by the strap on a hook proceeded to take off the camera shoulder bag (slung over a shoulder diagonally like a messenger bag) when I hear a crash. The stupid hook didn't hold the camera up, it fell maybe 24" onto the ground, landing on the Kirk L-bracket for the D700/MB-D10. The lens was my AF 24mm f/2.8D with the metal hood attached.

AFTER FREAKING OUT, I checked out the camera, it was no worse for wear. Every thing checked out okay, no visible damage to the camera or the lens or the lens hood. Lens stopped down okay, metering seems okay. Images still sharp. I can hear the sensor being cleaned while powering on or off. Settings change okay. I think I dodged the bullet!

I feel okay about, I may send it in to be checked just to be safe. It seems that the L-Bracket and lens hood acted like a roll cage for the body.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

G