Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 and shutter speed issues

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
287 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004
Mon 22-Sep-08 01:14 PM

On Saturday last, I was a guest at a wedding of a friend's son and took my D700 with a 24-70 lens to shoot some shots at the groom's home, then at the wedding in spactular Trinity College Dublin and later at a reception. It was a fabulous day with, dare I say it after weeks of rain, almost too much sun.

I usually shoot with apperture priority and set a base ISO of 200. I set auto WB and during the afternoon adjusted the ISO to auto also.

Because of it's low light capabilities, I shot as much as possible in available light, in the dark church in spite of the sunshine and at the reception.

I shot in RAW and developed JPGS from NX2 and also "ingested" the pictures into Lightroom 2.

Well they do look good but I was shocked to find that the shutter speed in many was really way too low with 1/30, 1/80 and lots at 1/60. For me this is really too show as as you may guess, I was getting just a little camera shake but just enough to DRIVE ME CRAZY!.

I thought that I has set the minimum shutter speed but I did not expect to find so many shots at really low shutter speeds.

OK I know that I should have checked the shutter speed but with all the excitement, well, it just didn't happen.

What should I do to avoid these low speeds? I really feel that I should have a minimum shutter speed of at least 1/125 to 1/250 but how can I ensure that this happens?

Of course I could use a tripod but I got enough strange looks with the D 700 plus the 24-70 to know that a tripod would not really be on.

PS the "official" photographer had a Ca**n

GH

G