Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Faces are sooooo red

Porzellangasse

US
73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011
Sat 24-Mar-12 07:40 PM

Lately all of my faces have been super red. Worse than a bad sunburn. Very red. So much so that there is little I can do in post process even though I shoot RAW.

D700. Auto WB.

This is new. I've shot with D700 about a year or longer. It's always shot a little 'red' in that my photos have always been a bit redder than ideal but not too bad. Now it's off the charts.

I don't know if it's an equipment problem or something I'm doing. This is especially true in my studio where I've been using an Alien Bee 800 with softbox as main light and either a reflector as fill light or a flash shooting into translucent umbrella as fill light.

So, a very good portrait photographer I spoke with suggested I get a color-balanced QP gray card to click on in post process. I did that. $63 for this card. I clicked on it and doesn't do much good but I do need to read how to use it right. (Have to search 'net for that as it came with nothing).

I also need to learn how to accurately make a custom WB prior to shooting as I've been told I'm crazy to have camera on Auto WB. I have an Expodisc.

In addition to mastering custom WB and using new $63 gray card, could there be anything else going on? The WB amber/blue scale is at zero. The micro fine tune color option in menu (the colorful grid) is at zero also (right in center). Anything else I can check in the camera?

As I mentioned, this is new but I'm not sure I'm doing anything different.

Thank you.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Faces are sooooo red
                              Reply message is this over without a solution or finding?
                                   Reply message RE: is this over without a solution or finding?

G