Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Adhesive bond failure on D700 exterior rubber panels

Bob32

Chico, US
5860 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Wed 14-Mar-12 04:10 PM

I've had my D700 for slightly over three years, during which time the two exterior rubber panels on the same end of the camera as the shutter release button have been progressively peeling over the past few months. I finally got fed up with dealing with these peeling panels. It wasn't a convenient or inexpensive solution, but yesterday I drove 90 miles to my nearest approved Nikon repair facility where they replaced all three exterior panels. The cost was $45 for materials and $45 for labor for a total of $90. To the best of my knowledge I have never exposed this camera to overly hot conditions, but the adhesive bond of the panels failed anyway. It bugs me that this should be happening on a high-end camera like the D700. Fortunately I have not had this problem with my D200 which I bought almost five years ago.

Other than the adhesive bond failure the operation of my D700 has been exemplary. It makes me wonder how Nikon got so much right about the D700 but yet fell short of the mark on the design of the body exterior. I didn't need subject-to-failure exterior rubber panels on my older Nikon F and F2A film cameras.

Thanks for the opportunity to blow off a little steam.

Bob

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Adhesive bond failure on D700 exterior rubber panel...

G