Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D700 and Lumedyne Flash sync

mbuk

Toronto, CA
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mbuk Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Dec 2009
Wed 14-Mar-12 11:49 AM

Hi,

I have just purchased some used lumedyne flash units (system 244 o65x). I would be grateful if someone could help with the following questions.

I've used them so far with a sync chord connected directly from the camera to one flash head - one flash head triggered the other through the power pack.) I used a sync speed of 1/320 sec. (f-20 with the lumedynes at 50w - these things are powerful!) It worked perfectly.

1.) I have seen some blog which talks about damaging the camera when syncing to lumedynes. Is there any validity to this?

2.)I tried to fire my SB-900 (using the on camera flash in commander mode and the SB-900 in remote mode) and the lumedyne both at the same time but was unable to do this. I could fire the the lumdeynes only when the on camera flash was not popped up. When the camera flash was popped up only the SB-900 would fire. Is there a way to fire both the lumedynes and the SB-900 remotely at the same time?

3.) Lumedyne makes an add-on module for the system 244 (the HAHM) which allows you to dial down the power of the flash. (I really would like to be able to use this feature to allow shooting with lower f-stops.) it also has a ttl feature of its own which is supposed to work really well. Is it safe to use with the D-700 and does it work?

4.) I would like to fire the lumedynes wirelessly. Which transmitter/receiver would be recommended (and best economically)? (pocket wizard? (possibly the workaround to using the SB-900 remotely and the lumedynes at the same time is to fire it using a third part transmitter/receiver?)

Your help is always much appreciated.

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G