Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sticking with the D700? Plus Video requests at the gig.

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Mon 27-Feb-12 08:18 PM | edited Mon 27-Feb-12 08:38 PM by Robman3

I was at the Baked Potato Saturday, shooting as a friend/associate for Nick Smith and his ringer accompaniment band.

There was a "credentialed" NPS shooter hired, who is a local to the LA scene (he told me he has well over a million images of concerts and club sets). All Nikon folks are quite the gentle souls it seems.

He had a well worn loaner D700 from Nikon, as his was in for maintenance and, he had previously "worn" another D700 out.

At some junctures, he was shooting with a low power from the on board flash, but most of the time he shot native.

We didn't get into his settings etc. but he did have (drool zone) the 85 f1.4.

I was shooting the D3S with the 70-200, hand held and bounced around settings for kicks, plus, had the disadvantage of being in a corner, standing on a chair to catch Nick's facial expressions over the music stands while trying to steady leaning against the cabinet near the ceiling.

I initially trucked in my gear to specifically shoot video, on the D7000 and asked the stage manager if it was OK but had no board feed for the Zoom, instead turning the device backwards to avoid overload from the kit, which was 2 feet away.

Long story short, Nick's manager (Sue) had also hired a videographer, who had a sub show up instead; he was shooting across from the band, with a smaller HD sensor rig of some type.

During the second set, the NPS guy told me he was hoping that the D700 would come down in price, as he wanted to buy two more. I told him about the D800/D4 and that within six or eight weeks that the costs for that body would indeed come down used and new.

His mindset was/is that the D700 is all the camera he needs, with possibly a 24-70 or 70-200 as well to flesh out his rig and although he does see video DSLR folks at gigs, it is of no use to him so far, no need driven NAS.

By then I was able to break out the tripod (again with stage managers OK) setting up the D7000 with 24-70, jut behind Nick's chair a row or two back from the stage. I used f3.5, 50FPS, Incandescent, and let it roll, did some in and out but have yet to view the takes in Premiere Pro.

Once the gig was over, I mentioned to Ms. Manager that the video she was getting from the other camera would likely be a bit dark and noisy, she said that he had already told her that to prepare her.

What she has in mind, is to build a stills and video demo reel for promotional uses and I explained that perhaps the takes I had would lend themselves to the video aspects.

She was aware of DSLR HD and we agreed to take a look after I do a ten minute clip for review.

MR. NPS, also was aware of that conversation and we parted on the high note that at some point, perhaps we could collaborate to that end.

Lastly, I was informed that for my efforts, (Pending review, mine and theirs) there would be compensation on my end. As quoted "You can't do this stuff for free".

So, YES by all means there are D700 users with no need for anything more than perhaps, a D700S etc., and there is a need for DSLR shooters in the same types of environments for the client's best interests.

FYI and have fun,

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G