Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 and Nikon Control Pro 2

aussie bob

AU
35 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
aussie bob Registered since 30th Jun 2007
Fri 12-Sep-08 08:29 AM | edited Sun 14-Sep-08 08:22 AM by aussie bob

Yesterday I brought the new D700 home. Now "all" I have to do is set it up to a reasonable configuration that suits my style.
When I bought my D200 cameras, I was able to use spreadsheets that had been produced by some clever guys and I found them to be a great help. I have not found S/Sheets for the D700 but have found some for the D3 and the D300 and I suspect that they will be a good starting point for the D700.
I was fortunate enough at the time of configuring the D200 bodies that I became aware of Nikon Control (not sure what version) as a trial program. While it was useful to be able to set some of the menu items from the PC keyboard, the program was fairly narrow in what it could do for me and I did not go as far as purchasing a copy.
I now suspect that the latest version, Control Pro 2, is able to most menu items and that interests me very much. However, when I install a trial version, it will not open as a trial version and is waiting for the key codes to be entered. Maybe it is aware that I had a previous trial version installed, even though it was uninstalled a long time ago.
Can you guys tell me if 1/ Control Pro 2 is actually able to set all/most menu items in the D700, 2/ is the trial version not opening for me because of the previous trial (how does it know that, a Registry entry??) 3/ are there any other programs that will talk to the D700 and allow the menu items to be set from the PC keyboard.
Apart from the high cost of the Nikon Program, the uncertainty as to whether it will actually do what I want to achieve, makes me very hesitant to buy.
Or do I just bight the bullet and sit down and go through the menu, item by item, bank by bank, and do the settings?
Regards
Bob

G