Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D700 Owner / First impressions / Experiences

mkmull77

Fond du Lac, US
129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mkmull77 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2010
Thu 26-Jan-12 02:42 AM

So I bit the bullet and bought a used D700 the other day adding to my one remaining F4s and F5.
The D700 looked new and only had 3374 shutter actuations.
While testing it out it seemed to work fine.
It had firmware version A/B 1.01 so of course I decided to update it to A/B 1.02 in accordance with Nikon's instructions.
All went well, the firmware updated successfully, I turned off the camera and removed the memory card and checked the firmware version in the camera ( A/B 1.02).
I again turned off the camera and reinserted the memory card.
It was at this point things went awry.
The camera wouldn't boot, nothing on either LCD screen, and non of the buttons would work.
I tried turning it off and on a few more times with no effect.
I did notice the CF LED was blinking when a had the camera turned on.
I now removed the memory card and battery and waited a minute before replacing them.
Again no response except for the blinking CF LED.
I again removed the memory card and battery and waited a minute before replacing them.
Once more no response except for the blinking CF LED.
Next I replaced the CF card with a known good one but not supported by Nikon, SanDisk Extreme 16GB card.
Still the camera wouldn't boot, I was starting to think the worst.
I thought that since I hadn't replaced the battery why not no so, it couldn't hurt and who knows.
The battery I was using was fully charged as was the one I just pulled off the charger to replace it with.
Now with the other battery installed I once again turned on the camera, this time I had “CHR” appear briefly on the top LCD screen, the CF LED was no longer blinking, and the buttons were working. I reset the camera with the green dot buttons, (Qual / Exposure Comp), I formatted the CF card and took several pictures, I turned it on and off several times and all appeared fine. I inserted the other CF card and formated it as well, it also works.
The camera again seems to be working as it should, I have seen only one glitch since this episode and that is after using it in manual focus mode it wouldn't auto focus until I uninstalled and reinstalled the lens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G