Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

learned lessons from my vacations

jhpani

Cancun, MX
413 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jhpani Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2007
Sun 15-Jan-12 03:31 PM

Hello all

I made it back a week ago after some serious vacation time at disney world in Orlando (man it was freezing, remember I am used to Cancun weather around 90 all year round)

well I learned a couple of lessons I need to share to you guys.

1.-I have a black rapid strap attached to my d700 camera, I love this strap and I am not going to change it, but on day 7 of my vacation, I was taking some stuff into a locker, and leaned over to grab the jacket when all of a sudden my d700 went plummeting down to the carpet in the room, I managed to grab it in my knees before falling to the ground!!
what happened was that with my jacket and stuff, I extended the strap a little bit more than usual, and it slipped away, I placed a secure pin on the strap after this and worked perfectly, also I wont let the strap be so long any more.
I will send a note to black rapid to inform them of this, maybe they can come up with a solution or a fixs

lesson #1, dont let the black rapid strap be too close to the end (meaning too long) even if you are a big guy like me, try and keep at least 3 inches of strap in the end. If you can place a safety pin in there, do it by all means, its better to err on the safe side than to have a camera drop.

2.-on day 16 of my vacation, I DROPPED the camera to the ground, this time for real
I was carrying the camera in the wais bag fromt he Think tank rotation360, as the camera fit perfectly, there was enought room for the flash unit and it let me carry around some stuff while camera was out.
During this weird day, I forgot my ticket to the park and had to run back to the lobby to get a new room card, in this fast move, I placed my camera inside the bag and zipped it, but upon request of ID, I opened the bag and never closed it, as it was not in my wais, I carried it back onto my shoulder with the zipper opened and OUCH!! the camera, my baby, my love, went to the ground!!!

I checked it, and was working fine, no problems, the card was a little out, so it made for an ERR signal that was fixed really fast by ejecting an reinserting the CF card.

Then I noticed when trying to use the flash, that the hotshoe was warped!! really bad, and it made for a very ugly day!!, finally I got some cast members at Magic Kingdom to loan me a small flat screwdriver to try and fix that, which I managed to do, I was able to load the flash and fire it.

lesson #2, make sure your bags are used in the way they were designed to be worn, and always make sure to close your bags when the camera strap is not on your neck or shoulders. More so if you are in a hurry.

Hope this helps guys!! please do take into consideration.

Humberto´s, proud nikonian in Cancun, Mexico

"The important thing is never to stop questioning."~Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."~Yoda

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: learned lessons from my vacations