Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Loose lens mount?

Driller

Vernon, CA
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Driller Registered since 24th Nov 2011
Thu 12-Jan-12 08:37 AM

Question #1
I've been lurking about for a few weeks now and it is time I tapped into the wealth of experienced knowledge here at nikonians.

Bought a new D700 with a couple of new lenses. The AF-S 24-120mm fits nice and snug in the mount to the camera with little movement, hard to detect unless I really go looking for it. The AF-S 70-200mm is another story.

The best way to describe it is I have a Nikon hand strap, AH-4?. If I fit my hand into the strap and secure my grip with the hand strap, drop the camera to my side and start walking I feel a jiggle in the camera.

Grabbing the camera body and the lens with both hands individually and give a twist back and forth, I have approx. 3mm play/slap.

Is this acceptable in a new camera and lens? I always feel it jiggling and it is bugging me.

Question #2
I have a dot in my shots. I'm new to the digital world so I would like to find out where this is coming from or where to check. You can see the dot, which is a bit faint in this picture.
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/354266/size/big/cat/20946
It's a 1/2" left of center, about a 1/4" down from the top of the shot.

I cleaned my lenses next to a sunny window. Lens glass on both lenses was clear but the neutrals needed a bit of dusting and a smudge on one filter needed to be worked out. Shot into a blue sky with both lenses and both shots had the dot. Removed the lens and looked at the mirror. Saw a fleck of dust and removed it. MUP'ed and I could see nothing on the sensor with a cursory look. With a better look at the sensor, will I find the dot creating culprit or is it a pixel problem?

If sensor cleaning is all that is needed, is there a good tutorial on cleaning a sensor somewhere around here? I don't want to screw something up as I'm a bit nervous playing behind the mount area.

Gene

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Loose lens mount?