I have a Nikon d700 and sandisk extreme 16gb card (compact flash. )I shot 600 photos in raw format. However, there seems to be a corruption. I have a card reader and when opening photos with adobe, the thumbnails show up perfectly, but when you click on the thumbnail, many of the raw photo shows as horizontal, multicolored pixels. Some photos only show half of the picture. Can anything be done about this? I also noticed that while I was shooting the photos, when I went to preview them in the camera, some of them had the multicolored pixels. Please help
The card should be connected to the camera, then it should be formatted by the camera, by using the camera menu. Your statement did not make this procedure clear.
Do you have the software from Sandisk called RescuePRO? If so try to see if the card can be "rescued." You should be able to get this software from Sandisk-it used to be free. I have rescued RAW pictures when unintentionally erased, but the software may not work on your problem. Also, try to see what Sandisk support have to say about your problem, especially if ResquePRO does not do the job. Once you get the Sandisk opinion, you might be able to get a new card from your supplier.
Even if the raw data is corrupt you can try to extract the full resolution JPG (not the small thumbnail) from the NEF file. (If you shot Raw+Jpeg then at least you already have them.) There are a number of utilities that can do this including NefUtil at my site.
There is also some good "recovery" software available. I'm sure others will point you to that.
I used Card Recovery from WinRecovery a couple of weeks ago to recover 1500 jpegs from a SDHC card in a Lumix compact where my wife had accidentally deleted everything, it worked perfectly. It supports NEF RAW files as well.
I'll offer a different suggestion. It could be the card reader, the cable between the card reader and the computer, or the card. I suggest putting the CF card back into the camera, then using a cable from the camera to the computer to see what's there. If you get different results, it could be the card reader or the cable. Those failures are rare, but I did troubleshooting on a network issue for several weeks one time, burning up more than 100 hours trying to learn enough to solve the problem. Finally, I swapped out the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. Everything magically worked then. That was 3 years ago and I've had no trouble since.
I had the same problem a while ago and it turned out to be the software I was viewing the files with after I had downloaded them (Faststone image viewer). I uninstalled the software, started viewing them in Lightroom and all has been OK since.