Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My next body - your opinions sought and appreciated

Zevi

Ann Arbor, US
340 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008
Thu 13-Oct-11 04:16 PM

Greetings!

First, heads-up: this request for advice/opinion may involve some speculation or guessing. Some people can get really irked if asked for such opinion without having 100% of the data at hand; if that is the case, please accept my apologies and just ignore this thread.

OK, now that we got this out of the way, I'd like to ask for your opinion/hear your thoughts regarding my next body/lens(es). Although I'm not convinced that it will be FX, I am posting this question here because I assume that "almost all FX users have/had DX," while the reverse is not true.

I'm considering the options for moving out of my D80 to a new body and some new glass in the near future. I was tempted by the D7000, but somehow the body just didn't feel right in my (big) hands. I can't say exactly why -- but I didn't really get excited about it. Although older, the D300 excited me more when I held it. I had a chance to try the D700, and I loved how it felt, not to mention how it performed (but I'm preaching to the choir here, I know...)

So, this is what I have in mind: glass upgrade to 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8 VR2, and a new body. I've been drooling over these lenses for quite some time, and in fact -- I just rented such a pair to try them out.

Body options that I consider are in the $2000 range: a good used D700 or wait for the new (with specs TBD) D400 when it comes. Although the above two lenses I mentioned are FX, I really don't think it necessarily points to the D700 as the obvious choice. My photo interests are quite diverse: the usual family, kids & pets, landscape & nature, sports & aviation.

So, with that in mind, I would really appreciate hearing from those of you who were seriously exposed to both FX and DX -- if you had to pick just one -- which body would it be? Get the known-technology D700 in the immediate future, or wait for the unknown DX later on? On one hand, if the D7000 is any indication, the D400 is expected to really shine; on the other hand you may say "no matter how good the DX is, I will never give up my FX for it."

Of course we can just wait and see what the D400 looks like, but I'd really like to see what you think about it, even with some speculation/guessing involved.

Thank you,
Zevi

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My next body - your opinions sought and appreciated
                         Reply message RE: Maybe not

G