Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
telco5

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
telco5 Registered since 10th Jun 2008
Tue 02-Sep-08 11:09 PM

I bought the D700 for the low light high iso abilities... That being said I have having a tough time choosing a sports lens... Let me explain why this is a D700 post....

I have: 24-70 and a 70-200

I want to get to 400+ for shooting my kids sporting events and I am torn between the 200-400 (f4) and the 400mm (f2.8)

If I also get a 1.7x tele converter that gives me the same (680 for both lenses)

However that also puts me at 2 stops and thus the D700 question.

* I like the 200-400 for zooming as I don't have to move as much as the action comes closer, but I have to give up a couple of stops and in mid afternoon or indoor this might be a problem. (also the 200-400 has other uses I'm sure)

* I also like the clarity of the big 2.8 400 as it is super sharp and with the couple of stops I have to give up with the 1.7 it should not be a problem.

Anyone else have this perplexing issue ? (heh or did you just save up for both)...

Thanks for any input. Also I shoot the Denver Broncos from time to time and am on the field and have been shooting with the 70-200 and the 1.4 and have to guess a lot as to where to be.

G