Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 and ML-3 Remote

MrsNikon

US
490 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MrsNikon Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2009
Sun 26-Jun-11 12:55 PM | edited Sun 26-Jun-11 01:31 PM by MrsNikon

I dug out my ML-3 from the N90s days and decided to put some fresh batteries in it to test it out with the D700. I got some unusual behavior and am looking for some help.

I connected the receiver to the hot shot and connected it to the 10-pin port. Turned camera on and then turned on the receiver and then turned on the transmitter. Both were on Channel 1 and I had the camera set to AF-Single S and the transmitter set to S too.

The way my D700 is set up is I press the AF-ON button to focus.

I had the camera on the kitchen counter in Aperture Priority and I prefocused on a stationary stubject. I have the blinking red light on the transmitter so I know my batteries are good. Go to press the transmitter fire button and nothing. I changed the transmitter setting to C and got the same result.

I then turned everything off and set the camera to AF-C Continuous as well as the transmitter and as soon as the transmitter was powered on, the camera started firing frames in succession with me not even touching/pressing the transmitter button. After 4 or 5 frames I shut the power to the transmitter off.

Do I have a bad transmitter or is there some other setting with the D700 I need to change?

I also checked to ensure I had bracketing on the D700 set to off.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Found my ML-3 manual and am going through that now however I see that I had the D700 set on CL (Continuous-Low) however the camera shouldn't be firing on its own. I'm starting to suspect that having the AF-ON instead of shutter half way down to focus in the culprit.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G