Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Film shooter goes digital with D700 - How to evaluate?

August

Milwaukee, US
204 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
August Registered since 05th Aug 2002
Wed 23-Mar-11 07:28 PM | edited Wed 23-Mar-11 07:53 PM by August

Hi All,

I finally went digital. Well let me preface that... I don't think I picked up my F100 in over a year for chromes. The workflow and film prices was smothering what little amount of time and money I was able to carve out of a hectic life with work, kids, etc. In fact I have about 20 rolls that I haven't scanned, sitting in boxes. It's a crime really. I would still load up my F100 or FE2 with B&W and develop prints once or twice a year, which is still a lot of fun.

What happened? I bought my wife a point and shoot digital a few years back and I used it more and more. This was supplemented by my (gasp) iPhone camera. (Hey the best camera is the one you have with you. And really the iPhone 4 camera is pretty good for a cell phone).

I've loved the digital organization that programs like iPhoto and then Aperture have provided. But as I looked at the images's I've taken over the past year or so it's clear they are lacking by the crude instruments I have been using. What happened to that creamy bokeh and stunning subject isolation that I had with my 105 2.5 AIS? How come my kids are always blurry? Gosh I hate that noise! We are planning a family trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota this summer and I do not want my family's photographic memories to be stuck in a box waiting to be scanned or technically flawed due to the limitations of a tiny sensor and point and shoot operational performance. It was time for a DSLR!

I was waiting for my tax return, contemplating the D300S or D700. It was almost a toss-up on price since I do not have the wide end covered for a DX crop. - (D300s + wider lens, or D700 and use my existing humble kit.) I really like most of my lenses and want them to behave the same on my new body, and the D700 has been widely praised. So D700 it was. By the time I got my tax return last week, the D700 was no longer selling at $300 off list, but I took the plunge anyway fearing disruptions in the supply chain.

Sorry for the long post but here's my question.
How would you suggest I evaluate my D700 to make sure there are no sensor or other issues?

I'm sure it's fine, but I want to be pretty positive since it is a big investment. I've shot 80 some images and have about 120 left and another week before I won't have the option of exchange. Problem is this past week in Wisconsin has been overcast and rainy with no end in sight. So my subject choices and lighting has been very limited. Any tips, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! - August

A Wisconsin Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Film shooter goes digital with D700 - How to evalua...

G