Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Bluefin

Danville, US
432 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bluefin Registered since 14th Nov 2006
Fri 21-Jan-11 05:25 PM

I just got back from a couple of days in Yosemite. And if I recall each step I took with my D700 to capture an image, I have no idea how I was able to expose a negative twenty, thirty years ago and get a decent print from it!

I was walking by the river and saw a fallen log stretched over a pool and decided to capture the image.

I pulled my 50mm f1.8 AIS lens out of my bag and mounted on the D700. I pulled up the menu switched to Bank A for my custom landscape settings stored in memory.

Then I went to non-CPU menu and dialed in lens #3 which had the specs for my 50mm stored in memory.

I composed and focused the shot and then pulled up the menu again to access "My Menu" where the first item is Virtual Horizon. And even though I was in the vertical/Portrait mode I used the artificial horizon to get my camera level.

I refocused and switched the "Shooting Method Dial" to Mirror Lockup, (I almost always use a tripod), and tripped the shutter with my MC-36.

As the image came up on the LCD I touched the Zoom button, (no more D200 touch the OK button and then hold down the thumbnail button while you twirl the rear command dial), and checked my focus.

I then closed the eyepiece shutter, touched the info button so the details on the top LCD was displayed on the rear LCD and adjusted my exposure compensation!

My goodness! Did I really use completely manual cameras in decades past? How brave, what strength of character to persevere through such hardship!

If anyone ever asks again if they should buy a D700 I'm going to knock them over the head with my wooden 4x5! (oops, I can't say that anymore........I'll shake my finger at them!)

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 4x5 or a D700!

G