Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Spots show up in pictures with f14 and higher

MTP1

Waxahachie, US
33 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MTP1 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2009
Tue 21-Dec-10 06:01 PM

I have had my D700 for about 8 or 9 months and like it a lot. The other night I was testing the sharpness of my pictures by taking a series of shots with increasing f stops. I used a Nikon 105 Micro f2.8, a Nikon 35-70 f2.8D, and a Nikon 85mm f2.8 lens. After noticing several "spots" in some of the pictures, I shot some pictures with white paper and a wooden TV tray as a background and a small stone as the focus point. There were numerous spots in the pictures. They increased in clarity from f14 to f32 (depending on the lens used). When they were present they were present in the same pattern regardless of the lens used, which makes me think that it is in the camera. They are seen better as I increased the f stop and enlarged the area. My questions: 1. Is this dust or something else on the mirror or internal part of the camera or some type of digital artifact. 2. What would you suggest to eliminate them? (I have uploaded four pictures which show the spots scattered to the the left of the stone

Thank you for your help,
Mike

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject