Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Moving to FX? Dont wait for the "D800"--Buy a D700 Now!

JMA

Cincinnati, US
125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JMA Registered since 26th Mar 2003
Tue 09-Nov-10 08:00 PM | edited Wed 10-Nov-10 02:25 PM by JMA

I thought the same as CA in the post below entitled "D700 and up," which was to wait for the successor to the D700 before moving up to FX. However, after browsing the D700 forum, I couldn't find one reason why NOT to get the D700 now. The superlatives used to describe this camera speak volumes about the D700: "WOW" "amazing" "utterly perfect." My D700 arrived yesterday, and I couldn't agree more with these observations. My first grab shots were in my kitchen, at ISO 6400, which just blew me away. I'm fairly confident that this will be the first DSLR I've owned, where I won't be yearning for the latest technology.

The D700 price is at its lowest yet--maybe it will come down a little as the launch of the D700 successor approaches. That being said, I concluded that NOW was the time to move up to FX, while I could still get value out of my D300 to subsidize the move. When the presumed "D800" is launched, consumers will be paying a substantial premium to move up to FX, as compared to purchasing a D700 today.

Are the rumored features worth the premium?

• More MPs? No. The D700 captures way more information (RAW 14 bit) than what today's computers can meaningfully use and most printers can materially output. In my view, more MPs, after a certain point, are more for marketing than utility. Also, with more MPs comes larger file sizes (RAW), which may require a computer upgrade with a robust graphics card to manipulate.

• New Chip, by Sony? No. The D700 takes amazing pictures, and the D800 will have the "same noise performance" as the D700. So, what does the new chip mean--we really don't know.

• 100% viewfinder? No. Actually, however, I would prefer this feature on the D700, but I it's not worth paying the premium or waiting for the D800.

• 4-5 fps? No. This is the same as the D700.

• New AF system? Why? AF technology is very mature. To see how far it has come, does anyone remember the 2020? For those who may not, it was the first successfully marketed AF camera by Nikon. Would anyone want to replace the D700 focusing system for the 2020's? Anyone? Anyone? I didn't think so.

• New Battery? Why? The D90 uses the same battery as the D700, thus the spare you bought for the D90 can also be the spare for the D700. Otherwise, pitch the spare and pay retail for the new battery.

• Full HD? Not an important consideration for me.

Another consideration is with the D800 comes the technology glitches that may or may not happen. The D200 had the dreaded "banding" problem. The D300 received complaints of back focusing problems. No doubt Nikon USA will fix any technology glitches, so maybe this is not as big of a consideration. In contrast, the D700 has been on the market for over 2 years, and thus any glitches should have been fixed by now.

And finally, and most importantly, we're talking about "rumor" and "speculation" about what the D700's successor will look like. Assuming the rumors and the timetables for release are true, then you could be waiting up to a year from now to make the move. After that it will be another 2+ years before the price curve comes down the point comparable to the D700 today.

Bottom line, if you really want to move up to FX, then in the words of Nike, "Just do it!" Prices could not be better, and the camera could not be more perfect.

http://home.fuse.net/jma/DSC_0010.jpg

http://home.fuse.net/jma/DSC_0011.jpg

http://home.fuse.net/jma/DSC_0013.jpg

John, in Cincinnati, OH

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Moving to FX? Dont wait for the "D800"--Buy a D700...
Reply message RE: Yes but

G