Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon DK17-M Review - D700

DKESLERFL

Miami (Coconut Grove), US
3198 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DKESLERFL Registered since 21st Mar 2003
Tue 19-Aug-08 07:16 PM | edited Tue 19-Aug-08 07:52 PM by DKESLERFL

DX viewfinders are so small and hard to accurately focus with that Nikon produced the DK17-M magnifying eye piece to help alleviate this problem on cameras with round eyepieces. I have had one on my D2X for many years and it solved the problem beautifully. I put it on the D700 and the results were quite unsatisfactory. It vignettes the view so badly that you have to move your eye position all over the place to see everything in the each corner, and even the LED indicators are too far below the normal line of vision. The only time I could ever see this being beneficial would be for macro work. It also vignettes to varying degrees with film bodies.

The good news is that it is easily installed so I will use it for those extreme times I am shooting macro, but will remove it as soon as I'm finished and put it back where it belongs. Besides, the stock viewfinder is very adequate.

I hope this saves someone the disappointment and expense of buying one for their D700.

Regards,

Don Kesler

http://www.donaldkesler.com

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

G