Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
494 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007
Fri 10-Sep-10 03:19 PM | edited Fri 10-Sep-10 04:46 PM by voyageurfred

There's a new firmware update for the D700 which allows you to use 64gb CF cards, changes to the focus tracking and much more. The update apparently came out in January, however this info is not pinned here on the Forum so I thought I would post a short how-to.

If you just recently purchased a D700, or you've owned one for a while, you can confirm if your camera has the correct firmware by going to MENU, select the TOOLS icon, then scroll to the last item FIRMWARE and verify the installed version. Most cams ship with 1.01, so you will want to upgrade to the latest - version 1.02

This morning I visited the Nikon USA site and performed the firmware update myself. After reading through the downloaded six page PDF instructions, I then used an empty and re-formatted CF card following the procedures outlined. Its relatively easy - the whole update took about 4 to 5 minutes.

I'm on a Mac, and the one thing I found confusing from the info was the icon they showed on the PDF instructions. It resembled a camera or something, the detail was soft as seen in this screen shot from the PDF:

Click on image to view larger version

I could not pull it up in Preview so I had to go to the "Download" file folder (I'm on the Snow Leopard OS v10.6.4)
and find the Nikon file there. The icon indicates its a zipped file as seen in this screen shot:

Click on image to view larger version

I clicked on the zipped file, figuring the .bin file I was supposed to transfer was inside. This just created a second zipped file with the same number. So I guessed (correctly) that the CAMERA would open the zipped file. I dragged the zipped file marked .bin from the Download file to the USB-CF card reader icon marked D700 (this may appear differently on Windows PC's) to be uploaded into the CF card.

After the upload was completed, I ejected the card from the reader, then loaded it into the camera, following the instructions on the PDF by going to Menu->Tools->Firmware->UPDATE.

After the update was complete, a message came up saying to switch the camera off. And that was it.

So what does the Firmware update give you? There's a long list which you can read about on the download page. Here's the NIKON USA link for the update:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16657/~/current-versions-of-nikon-software

Now to go and test this cam with the new software!
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Frederic in Montréal

Nothing ventured... nothing gained!
http://www.RemarkableImages.ca
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install
                              Reply message Finding POUR Wiki
     Reply message Website for the absoulte LATEST Nikon firmware updates
     Reply message RE: Website for the absolute LATEST Nikon firmware upda...

G