Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using D700 with a 70-200 VR lens

manples

Ashford, Middlesex, UK
39 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
manples Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2008
Fri 16-Jul-10 07:55 AM | edited Fri 16-Jul-10 08:25 AM by manples

I took possession of a new 70-200 VR lens this week and was disappointed to be reminded that my preferred focus routine of AF-ONLY using continuous servo (AF-C) is imcompatible with VR. I have a commitment this coming Saturday to shoot moving subjects: runners, running towards me in a local weekly parkrun), outside in daylight. The subjects will be wearing a variety of bright athletic sports clothing, and I will be able to get close up to the track to a comfortable minimum (for me) of 3 or 4 metres from each runner. I will have plenty of time to pre-mark a focus point on the trail. I have only taken movement shots once before and the results went quite well using the 24-70 (no flash) but I finished up making too many crops, hence the wish to use 70-200. I would also like to use fill-flash (mounted SB-900) for these action shots with the the new lens but maybe that question isn't appropriate for this forum. Can anybody suggest a sure-fire winning approach to shooting glorious action shots with the 7-200 VR now that my Trap-focus and other AF-ONLY routines seem to be denied me? I have a good tripod and could abandon VR but it would be good to try it and have it work well on this first day out if possible. With thanks

manples

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using D700 with a 70-200 VR lens