Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D90 vs D700 thinking of switching

fwellers

Ashburn, US
110 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fwellers Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2008
Sat 26-Jun-10 09:58 PM

I know another one. Sorry about that.
I've read all the others, so I feel fairly sure I understand all the pros and cons.
My main reason for wanting to switch is that it seems to me I would get the highest dynamic range, tonal and color quality that I can afford. Also the extra stop or 3 of ISO would be very liberating when I shoot inside and don't have a tripod.
Of course it doesn't hurt that I would get more buttons for more frequently used options, and a more robust body, faster autofocus on my D lenses, and better AF in general, a better viewfinder for my older eyes etc...

But am I fooling myself about the difference in the quality between these 2 bodies ? The reason I ask is that I thought DXO was a very highly respected authority on these things. I was doing the compare between the d90 and d700 and if I'm interperting the results correctly ( they even have images that show on the graph to illustrate the differents in the data points ), it shows very little noticable differnence between the 2 bodies.

Can some experts chime in to help me know if this is the image quality is really significantly better or not between the two ? Assuming pro and semi pro glass, and most kinds of shooting except sport.

http://tinyurl.com/2bvg4zq

Thank you.

Peace,
Floyd

G