Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

which camera body to buy?

retfeg

CA
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
retfeg Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Fri 25-Jun-10 01:24 PM

I am new here and thought I would ask for an advice.
I am switching from Canon system to Nikon.

I am looking to buy a camera body and am just torn between the choices.
The budget is under $2000 or so, give or take. But I am trying to spend less if I can find a way that meets my needs.

I have already acquired the following lenses: Tokina 28-70 2.8; Nikkor 50 1.8, and older Nikkor 70-210 3,5-5.6

I would love to get the D700, but it is on the more expensive side of my range and I am not sure I would enjoy carrying it, as it is quite weighty and substantial. I am also looking forward to the future as to possibly upgrading any body I buy now. As an investment value, I do not want to loose a lot on the resale a year or two down the road.

I have large hands and therefore, find small grips very uncomfortable.

I could just buy a DX camera, but do not want to loose the wide angle with the DX camera, even though I am open to investing into another lens that would give me the equivalent of 28mm. unless I find a cheap lens that is a great value due to its optical quality. I know Ken Rockwell raves about the cheap 18-55.

I have a 4 year old kid that I shot a lot of photos of, and he is constantly on the move. I also liker portraits, and do occasional nature shots.

Any recommendations on what I should do? Which body would suit my needs with smallest expense?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: which camera body to buy?

G