Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Paul4707

Arlington, US
53 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Paul4707 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2006
Wed 23-Jun-10 01:06 AM

I currently own a D200 and have been very pleased with it. I shoot mostly scenics (landscapes, cityscapes), and occasionally people. Most of my enlargements are monochromes (8x10 and 11x14), with an occasional larger size up to 24x30.

I was recently at an airshow with a colleague who had just purchased a Canon EOS5D. His images were stunning in terms of resolution, far exceeding the D200. That was not a total surprise, given the 21 megapixel full-frame sensor on the 5D.

So here's my question. Would a D700 yield noticeably better results in terms of resolution than my D200? I realize that resolution is but one component of image quality, and that the D700 has other features that improve image quality (low light/higher ISO, etc). These are not that much of a concern, since I do not do a great deal of low-light shooting, and even in good light use a tripod so I can get down to ISO 100 or 200.

A D3X is out of my price range. However, I have nine AIS Nikkors from my film days, ranging from 20mm to 400mm, so I have a decent array of FX lenses and would not require an additional investment in that area.

Please note that I am not asking for a 5D/D700 comparison, given the obvious differences there. I assume there are some D200 users who either kept their DX bodies and purchased a D700, or upgraded to a D700. I would appreciate hearing your opinions.

Thanks

Paul Lebras

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Buy a D700?