Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DX, FX, and Internet BS

visionguru

Chicago, US
227 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
visionguru Registered since 03rd Nov 2008
Mon 21-Jun-10 02:45 PM | edited Mon 21-Jun-10 02:49 PM by visionguru

I've always been taking the face value of the DSLR online reviews. Recently, I've been looking into pros & cons of DX vs FX and found things floating around the internet simply dont' make sense:

(1)"DX has more reach"
Optically, 60mm is 60mm, DX or FX. The only difference is DX uses a smaller part of the image gathered by the lens, equivalent to crop a picture to smaller size.

Where is the more reach coming from? If I crop my pictures, then suddenly I have more reach?

(2)"FX has better ISO performance"

FX has a larger sensor, more than twice in area as DX. Take D700 and D300 as example,
If we crop the D700 sensor to DX size, it is a 6MP D300.
If we increase the pixel density of D700 to 24MP, basically the same density as D300, should have similar ISO performance.
If we merge the sensor output of 2 pixels of D300 into 1, at 6MP level, the ISO performance should be similar to D700.

ISO performance has nothing to do with DX or FX. All those expert comparisons of ISO performance are done at different physical scale, not a fair comparison at all.

DX is a cropped version of FX, FX has wider view, nothing more or less, the rest are basically the same.

I'd appreciate your inputs.

Jay
- Chicago Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DX, FX, and Internet BS