Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Canon or Nikon for an Oympus guy

Shy Talk

Port Glasgow, UK
653 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Shy Talk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2010
Sat 12-Jun-10 08:41 PM | edited Sat 12-Jun-10 08:48 PM by Shy Talk

Hello

I am one of those folk that like to take pix of flying aircraft.

I've been using Oly for thirty odd years, but the E-3 has second rate AF and simply can't hack it. ( I won't bore you with the details).

I've kinda run the choice of it's replacement down to either Canons' 7D or Nikons' D700.

Some issues are-weatherproofing. How well does the Nikon do? Are all the lenses sealed? I'm going to Tucson this July.

Which lenses to get. I only have a budget of 3000GBP, about $4000. I'd need a lens of about 800mm max, and a short zoom, say low 20's to about 120mm. I plan to get the Sigma 150-500. That would work good on the 7D.

Now, in favour of the Nikon...

1. its a full frame camera, although the benefits, I'm unsure of.
2. I never had a Nikon, so would quite like to get one.

In favour of the 7D
1. Its got that 1.6 crop, so my max usable FL, about 800, would be achievable with the Sigma 150-500, What could I get to do that with the Nikon?
2. Its a 18 mega pix cam, so if I really zoom in (not to print) to see details, like serial numbers etc, ie using the camera more like a telescope,might the 7D give better resolution?
3. THe 7D does video. Might be nice on holiday with family, etc.
4. The 7D has (allegedly) got really good AF.

But, I never really wanted to buy a Canon camera.

Honestly, I'm just trying to work it out.

Thanks

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Canon or Nikon for an Oympus guy
Reply message Nikon all the way!
Reply message RE: Nikon all the way!

G