Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do most recommend holding on to a DX?

cloudnine1970

US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cloudnine1970 Registered since 02nd Apr 2010
Wed 05-May-10 08:11 PM

I have been saving towards a D700. I am pretty close If I were to sell my D90 with 2 VR kit lenses I could probably hit my goal as soon as the D90 is sold and paid for ...

However , I am wondering if it makes more sense to hold on to my D90 and just wait another few months to save for the D700 . Three advantages of DX I have been told about , and would love to hear opinions here :

1)Farther reach with telephotos due to crop factor. ( I know that is true , but how MUCH more of a reach will I notice?)

2)If you are cropping in to subjects (wildlife far away for example ) , the crop will be much sharper on a DX camera because the pixels are more densely packed on the smaller chip . True? Big difference or nominal difference?

3)A DX is more forgiving of user error - i.e hand shake or less than perfect technique ( is that true???)

I have done a ton of research and know of all the other basic differences..size , weight , specs , ect... but would love any other details those of you who shoot both formats can add.

To give you my background - I started digital photography late September 09 with a D60..upgraded to a D90 early January '10 . I hate flash and love low light portraiture so that is what I am anxious to go FX for. I shoot children , concerts , nature and wildlife , and sports. In that order regarding frequency. My paid work is children and concert events so far.

So , would most keep the D90 as a second camera and wait 2 or 3 more anxious months for their D700 , or would you say that there is no significant reason to keep both a DX and an FX camera?

As for backup cameras on a job - I have free lend of my father's Nikons if I do a wedding , event , ect. So that really isn't much of a factor.

One last question..will my 18-105 3.5/5.6 VRII and my 70-300 4/5.6 VRII kit lenses work well on an FX camera?

My other lenses are 35-70 2.8 , 50 1.4 , 70-200 2.8 VRII ...all Nikkor. I know they will all work on FX , right????

Thanks in advance!
Sandy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gear - D300s , F5 , 50 1.4 , 18-105 3.5/5.6VRII , Tamron 17-50 2.8 , 70-300 4/5.6 VRII , 70-200 2.8 VRII , SB600

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do most recommend holding on to a DX?
Reply message RE: Do most recommend holding on to a DX? FX?
Reply message Wish I had kept mine!

G