Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Custom Shooting & Setting Menu Banks - worthwhile or not?

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009
Sat 13-Feb-10 03:11 PM | edited Sat 13-Feb-10 03:32 PM by Donald Kahn

After owning my D700 for approximately 9 months, I have not found a reason to set these up. I have “scoped” this topic and found two threads, one from May of 09 and another from December. I have also looked at the spread sheet pinned to the top of this forum and have also looked at the suggested settings published by Out There Images, Inc., which is linked in the pinned thread. Of the over 100 possible settings for each combination, AA, BB, etc., I have counted only 14 that changed between their four different examples, and most of these fourteen were shared by at least two of the other combinations. Four changes dealt with image size, quality and bit depth; one with “Tripod” for Live View; another with “Beep” volume; and still another with “Auto DX Crop.” If you are using a D700, a D3 or a D300, I would be interested to know, (1) why those of you who have not set up your banks haven’t done so, (2) if you have set up your banks, do you find that you use them, and if so, is it because you have set them up for a very different or specific type of shooting, and (3) if you have set them up, do you believe that they save time, or do you find that you have to double check just to make sure that you really have the right settings?

Of the four that dealt with quality, I would think that many of us would always want the same quality whether we’re shooting landscapes, sports, wildlife or whatever. If we do want to change quality, how hard is it, and if we forget to change from RAW to JPEG, what have we really lost other than the time that it takes to convert those images to JPEGS. The only setting that I thought was worthwhile was Active D and that, as well nine other settings, can be added to My Menu.

Am I missing something?

Don

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Custom Shooting & Setting Menu Banks - worthwhile o...

G