Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What is this? Weird band of color marches across multiple frames (Not "banding" i think)

rmorenopdx

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rmorenopdx Registered since 30th Nov 2009
Thu 14-Jan-10 05:27 AM

Hello All -

I'm a new member and couldn't find this question/issue addressed using the search feature. I've loved following the discussions here, but this is my first post.

I recently switched to Nikon (D700) after years as an Olympus shooter. One of the reasons I switched was for the low-light performance. I've been pushing the ISO limits during kids indoor basketball.

Today, I noticed a weird color cast shift across the frame of multiple consecutive images while shooting in continuous mode. This was very repeatable. For example - when shooting 3 images in a row a moving horizontal "band" of darkness/underexposure would "move" up each successive image. Image 1 - dark on the bottom third, Image 2 - dark on the middle third, Image 3 - dark up top, almost gone. It was very noticeable on the camera LCD. Another dad (and Nikon shooter) immediately noticed it.

I don't think its the "banding" problem people have discussed in the past - doesn't look like it to me. It almost looks like the dark band you can get across the bottom of the frame when trying to flash sync at too high of a shutter speed.

Any thoughts on what it might be. I embedded EXIF info, but to summarize:

D700 with 70-200 VRII
Aperture priority (though happened with shutter priority and even in manual)
Auto ISO (climbed to 6400, though also happened when I manually set ISO to 4000)
Incandecent White Balance (though I had used AUTO as well)
Shot in RAW, processed in View NX (though seen on LCD screen in camera and on Lightroom)

75% of my images displayed this problem. It was very obvious when looking at the thumbnails. In looking at the thumbnails all on one screen, the color temperature of the image seemed to change from pic to pic even though the white balance and exposure were the same....

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ray

Maybe I'm asking too much of the high ISO capabilities of the camera? I didn't have these problems shooting at IOS 3200 last week.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G