Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Ease Of Use Question

Enigma869

US
18 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Enigma869 Registered since 11th Jan 2010
Mon 11-Jan-10 05:31 PM | edited Mon 11-Jan-10 05:34 PM by Enigma869

Good Afternoon All...

I am brand new to the world of SLR cameras. I've always used a Nikon point and shoot (I currently own the P6000, which as point and shoots go is a really nice camera). I recently purchased a DSLR because Costco had too good of a deal on the D5000 for me to pass up. I'm obviously not a professional photographer, so figured the D5000 would serve my purposes well, for taking pictures of my 3 year old son, and photographing the interior of homes (I'm a real estate agent). After playing around with the D5000 for a couple of weeks, I was VERY impressed with how easy it was to use and how dramatically different (i.e. better) the image quality was versus a point and shoot camera. The only reason I never considered a DSLR over a point and shoot was the intimidation factor. I thought a DSLR would be impossible for me to figure out. There are obviously endless features on the D5000 that I still haven't learned, but just figuring out how to take quality images was all I really needed for now.

Here is my dilemma...I have the opportunity to return the D5000 to Costco for a full refund (they have a liberal return policy) and I'd really like to purchase the D700. I'm told that I have zero shot of getting true wide angle shots with my Nikkor 12-24mm lens using a DX body (a bit over my head, as a non-photographer), but I trust what I'm being told because I've read about it. I'm told that superb lens is almost "wasted" on any DX frame. I have the money to upgrade to the D700, but my real concern is my lack of knowledge. Is it going to be that complicated to get from the box to taking pictures? Obviously with the D5000, there is an "Auto" mode and a scene dial, which I've had fun experimenting with. I guess in my ignorance, I assumed even higher end cameras, like the D700 had these same features (obviously I was completely ignorant to the fact that this is a camera geared more toward professionals who don't need the guidance I need). Can anyone offer me any advice on the ease of use (for the non-professional photographer) of the D700? I really want to purchase the camera but don't want to purchase something that I feel like I'm not educated enough to use without reading 17 books on the topic. I will gladly read books about improving my skills. I simply want to be up and running with taking pictures, sooner rather than later. Go easy on me...this is my first post Thanks in advance for any and all advice offered.

John

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 Ease Of Use Question