Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

white balance setting for night photography

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Fri 18-Dec-09 12:08 PM | edited Fri 18-Dec-09 11:24 PM by gqtuazon

While I was stuck and bored from work, I took some night shots on some of the neon Christmas lights with my D700 and a Nikon 24mm f2.8D lens. My camera was set in P mode, ISO 3200, f2.8, Vivid, WB Auto, 1/50, outside temperature was around 37F/3C with clear sky. Although it took great pictures on the static subject, I had a difficulty in getting the exact colors of the green neon string lights at a close distance. It appeared much lighter in color when viewing it from the camera LCD. I guess I have to wait until I upload and view them to my home computer monitor. I will post them for further comment. I have read the D700 manual and it did not suggest any settings for night photography. I just received my D700 on the 14th of December and I'm an amateur and still trying to learn the various functions of this great camera compared to my D80. Do you have any suggestion on how to set the camera to get wild and vivid colors for night photography, particularly neon signs or something similar? Would it help if I use a slower shutter speed and a tripod? Appreciate the help and many thanks.

Update: It looks like I'm having trouble uploading the pictures here in the forum. It must be an operator error but I have posted the pictures in my gallery. Thanks.

Glenn
My gear: D700, 24mm f2.8D, 50mm f1.8D, 85mm f1.8D, 20-35mm f2.8D
D80, 18-135mm kit lens, 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron
SB600 , SB400

Regards,

Glenn

G