Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
rosewood_ltd

Akron, US
1266 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rosewood_ltd Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008
Wed 09-Dec-09 04:50 AM | edited Wed 09-Dec-09 04:51 AM by rosewood_ltd

I'm not quite sure where to post this, but since it happened while using my D700, I'm going to try here. Mods - if there is a more appropriate venue, please feel free to move the thread.

So... I'm on vacation last week and I had a whole segment of pictures lost to some kind of malfunction. A number of the images looked like below, others were completely black. Images shot on the same card in the same session after the bad sequences came out just fine. Of note, I was shooting RAW, using my D700 set up for 5 exposure 1ev brackets, using the Ch shooting mode. The card was an 8GB 233X Lexar which was trouble free before and after the tragic pixel slaughter. Images were transferred from a card reader to an external hard drive passing thru a Macbook Pro. The "bad images" cannot be opened in NX2. Photoshop refuses to open also, giving an "unexpected end of file" error message. I was able to get this example extracted by opening it in (of all things) Preview, then saving as a PSD and reopening in Photoshop and converting thence to jpeg.

The questions I have are:
1. Has anyone else ever experienced a similar problem?
2. Does this malfunction have any implications for the function of my camera or flash card?

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Russ

The trick is not to make lemonade when life hands you lemons. The trick is to find the person life has handed vodka to and then have a party.

My Nikonians Gallery:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/191414

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What happened?