Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ylwdog

US
146 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009
Wed 02-Dec-09 08:47 AM

Equipment used for this test shoot: D700, Nikkor 24-70.

In improving my fast action shooting I went out to do some test shooting yesterday. I don't normally shoot in continuous mode, rather single mode all the time. In doing so I switched focus mode from single to continuous and AF-Mode from single point to dynamic area; switching back and forth between 9 point and 21 point throughout the shoot.

I have the focal point highlighted on display playback so I can verify where the exposure focused and was made.

What I saw were several images that had the highlighted focal point and some that did not, is it correct that the images that do not contain the focal point on them that the camera did not or was not able to focus?

One other question related to this topic is using Auto Area focus mode. When using this mode the only visual cue I see that the subject field is in focus is the green light in the viewfinder, there are no highlighted focal points. Is there no way to receive a visual cue to what the camera is focusing on? I have worked through all the settings in the D-700 but have not found a combination that will show a focal point.

Last question, does Nikon software show the focal points of the image, or is this reserved for only in camera viewing?

I have uploaded a file to ask for feedback on the focusing problem. The foreground and middle grass and rear of the dog is in focus but her face is blurry. This was shot at a 1/4000 shutter speed so I don't see how some things are sharp and she is not, sure fastest enough to freeze her motion.

thanks,

doug

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focus Question