Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Low-Light Focus Issues: Please advise

blingo999

US
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
blingo999 Registered since 03rd Dec 2008
Tue 01-Sep-09 12:11 AM

Apologies in advance...I'm sure I could sort this out myself given more time, but I have another shoot coming up and could use some help sorting this out quickly.

I've been experiencing problems focusing at dusk on a moving (sometimes not moving) subject using a D700 and 2.8 lens.

This latest shoot I was holding the camera with one hand and flash out to the side with the other, using CLS to control the flash. Half the images were out of focus. I tried single shot mode (S) and continuous (C).

Equipment at my disposal: SB-900, SB-600, SU-800 (IR controller).

Problem I need to solve: Using CLS to fire off-camera flash, (1) what are the best autofocus settings, and (2) what is the best equipment combo to achieve focus?

I believe the SB-900 can be used as a focus assist, but I don't know how to control the off camera flash if the SB-900 is in the hotshoe.

Here is one of the better shots from this weekend to give you an idea of the problem I'm trying to solve. I blew a bunch of shots getting to this one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/3876359290_b192b6e379_b.jpg

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G