Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 and PC-Nikkor 28mm 1:4 and other old lenses

addieleman

NL
83 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
addieleman Registered since 13th Jul 2006
Wed 05-Aug-09 06:59 PM

Hi all,

I'm in doubt if I'll upgrade from my D200 to either a D300 or a D700. Despite the higher price, extra weight (auch) and the need for some new and heavier (auch) AF lenses there's one particular thing that makes me consider a D700: the possibility to use my old and loved PC-Nikkor 28mm 1:4 (AI'd by John White). I've taken a lot of pictures with it in my F3 days and I'm still longing to have that experience again. The lens yielded vivid colours, very good sharpness and I used it a lot shifted only a few mm, that just made a lot of shots right for me.

Questions:
1. Does it physically fit, i.e. will the D700's protruding mirror/flash house allow the lens to shift upward all the way?

2. Will I be disappointed with the image quality on the D700? I've tried it briefly on the D200 and I wasn't happy at all: sharpness was good in the center, but only fair at best in the farther corners. CA is also visible, of course especially when shifted. Will the lower pixel density of the D700 help me out here to relieve the resolution issues?

I know Nikon offers the PC-E 24mm, but I'm not at all sure that 24mm is right for me, I'm quite particular about the "feel" of a focal length.

3. What about other old lenses? I'd like to use my 2.8/20 AIS again, 2.8/28 AIS, Micro 2.8/55 (for landscapes, not close-ups), 2.5/105 AIS and 4/200 AIS, to name just a few of my favorites of yore. IMHO the first two aren't exactly stunners on the D200.

Ad Dieleman

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G