Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dropped D700...viewfinder specks & replacement focusing screen

Nathan Shane

Addison/Carrollton, US
189 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Nathan Shane Registered since 18th Dec 2007
Thu 23-Jul-09 06:22 PM | edited Fri 24-Jul-09 04:10 PM by Nathan Shane

Well, I knew it had to happen eventually. I was at the zoo today taking pictures and sat down to change lenses and adjust the straps of the camera, bag and lens. I didn't recall that I had removed the camera strap from around my neck and when I got up, the D700 w/105mm VR attached slid off my lap and onto the concrete. I made such a dreadful thud, loud enough to cause a woman to turn around to see what happened. At least it only fell a couple of feet or less. The good news is that the camera and lens seem to both be working as far as I can tell...so far.

The lens hood appears to be scraped and looks like it must have hit first and taken most of the blow. The camera body looks completely unaffected. I had the MB-10 grip and the Kirk L-Bracket on the camera as well and there is a slight ding on the L-Bracket, so the bracket must have been the other point of contact.

But there is an issue though. I'm seeing some small black specs in the viewfinder and they appear to be coming from the "backside" of the pentaprism? Well, I don't think it's actually the pentaprism but whatever that rectangular piece of glass that is in the top of the camera. It kinda looks like there is a wire clip that holds it in place. I've cleaned the front side of that glass and I still see the black specs through the viewfinder but I can also see one of them while looking at that rectangular glass piece. Like I said, it looks like the debris is on the backside. Is there a way to remove whatever this piece of glass is so I can clean the backside of it?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Dropped D700, specks showing in viewfinder now...

G