Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF-ON follow up questions

56chevy

Austin, US
208 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
56chevy Registered since 05th Oct 2008
Sat 18-Jul-09 03:36 PM

I have asked about AF-ON before -- and "thought" I understood it -- but please bear with me as I do still have some issues with this approach.....

Here is the way I understand to set up and use AF-ON -- and would like to know if it is correct -- then a couple of questions.

Custom setting a5 to AF-ON only
Switch to AF-C mode
Set a1 to "Release Mode" - Question -- do I HAVE to do this -- what is the point of a bunch of OOF pictures -- can I leave this setting in "Focus" mode?

To take a shot of a "still" subject - position your focus point on the subject - press and release the AF-ON button -- and recompose if needed - then take the shot by pressing the shutter
VR activates at half press of the shutter

To take a shot of a moving subject - position your focus point on the subject - press and HOLD the AF-ON button. If you are in "single point" you would need to track the subject by moving the camera -- if you are in Dynamic AF area - you can hold your camera still and allow the camera to "track" the moving subject.

Is this correct ?

Assuming the above is correct -- my main quesions are:
1) Since I really don't shoot a lot of moving subjects (not a birder or sports shooter) I don't like the idea of setting my AF-C release mode to "Release" -- can't I set this to "Focus" ? Would it still work this way ?

2) When using the AF-ON focusing method -- do most of you set your switch to "single point" or Dynamic AF area ?

3) If you set it to Dynamic AF area -- how many "points" do you have yours set to (9, 21 or 51) ?

Hope this all makes since -- and Thanks in advance for your replies

Art
"Feels so good feeling good again"

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF-ON follow up questions