Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
adcam

Portland, US
598 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Mon 06-Jul-09 03:09 AM

First off I am a weekend photographer so my camera usage is low. I bought my D700 in Oct '08 and I probably have less than 700 shots.

I recently bought the MB-10 grip and just used 1 EN-EL3 battery in the grip. It was working perfectly the few shots I used it on.

This 4th of July weekend was probably the first time I used it a lot. It was working erratically, for example, when I pressed the play (review) button the shutter would activate. Not all the time but it happened more than once even firing succession of 5 shots (I am in CL mode). Also pressing the AF-on button would activate the shutter, again, not all the time.

Good thing I was still able to take quality shots, however on the last day (today), it would intermittently die. The top LCD would go off as soon as I pressed the shutter and no picture was recorded. Then it was powerless and I could not turn on the camera. The battery still had 2 bars left before the camera died.

As soon as I reached home, I put in a fresh battery and it did the same thing. I presumed it was the grip so I removed it and the camera worked again. I left the battery in the camera and put back the grip with no battery in the grip and it still worked. So I just put another battery in the grip and let it be since it was still working fine.

Sorry for the long post. So do you think I should send my grip for repair or leave it as is with 2 batteries as described above. I hope it does not do the same thing again when I use it for a prolonged time. Anyone with a similar experience?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 possessed?

G