Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300-to-D700 converts: some input, please?

fishburn

Spokane, US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fishburn Registered since 29th Aug 2008
Tue 16-Jun-09 07:33 AM

Greetings -

Is there anyone here who had a D300 (or DX-sensor camera, for that matter) but switched to the D700 primarily because of the crop factor (or lack thereof)?

After just over seven months with my D300, I'm still feeling the difference between what my 35mm eye/instinct is expecting and what my DX sensor is delivering. Don't get me wrong: I dig that my 300mm reaches to 450mm. But for most other things, I'm forever converting focal lengths in my head, thinking things like "Ok, I want (roughly) a 28mm shot, so I'll put my 16-85mm on and go to about 19mm," because my 28mm-105mm really starts me at a 42mm field of view.

I'm not here to initiate a debate about high ISO, better AF or better images. I'm not saying I feel the need to upgrade my current camera because I want something newer/bigger/faster/better. I'm not even thinking of the D700 in terms of an "upgrade" really. I'm trying to decide if the D300 is the best tool for me, and if I should fork over the extra cash for an FX body; or if I should just learn to live with the DX. The bulk of my shooting ranges from 24mm-150mm (35mm terms); I rarely use my 70-300, but I do use the macro on my 28-105mm (not sure how I feel about the FOV on those shots yet).

Worded a slightly different way: Has anyone else has gone through the same basic frustration then switched from the D300 to D700 because they wanted a shooting experience closer to their 35mm familiarity?

(While I would certainly be keen on keeping the 300 and picking up a 700, my budget will only allow for one body or the other.)

- Chazzz

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300-to-D700 converts: some input, please?

G