Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Autofocus area mode choice

Ardbeg98

US
34 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ardbeg98 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2009
Thu 11-Jun-09 02:23 PM

I have relatively frequent need to shoot pictures of groups of 2 to 4 people at indoor events. The people may be sitting or standing with only normal movement. The main idea is to get the people in focus; the function of the background is largely to provide context. I typically use a 24 - 70mm f/2.8 with aperature priority at maybe f/8 with or without flash (with flash maybe ISO 400 and without flash auto ISO). Also usually matrix metering. I have a great preference to use autofocus rather than manual since there is usually a good deal of chaos.

My question is: what is your own approach to such situations? Many seem to advocate using the single servo focus mode with a single area point of focus, then recomposing as necessary. Others recommend the single servo but then use the automatic area focus (where you can see the red squares that confirm focus). Still others like the continuous servo with dynamic area focus set to release plus focus priority. I have to admit that the automatic area focus is very tempting, so I'm particularly wondering if there is a compelling reason to avoid it.

Michael
Cape Cod, Mass.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus area mode choice