Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What's the Value of the Autofocus Fine Tune Capability?

Danbie

Midland, US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Danbie Registered since 31st May 2009
Tue 09-Jun-09 11:50 PM

I’m planning to upgrade from my D70. I have read tons of reviews on the D90, D300 and D700 (the D3 is more than I’ll need). I’m sure that I’ll enjoy the advancements of any of these three cameras over the D70. As I work toward a decision there is one feature on the D700 that I'm trying to pin a value on … the autofocus fine tune capability. I currently have a two zooms that work fine with my D70. One is a fairly cheap Nikon DX zoom which I know is not ideal for a FX sensor and the other is an old Quantaray 70 – 300mm zoom from my film shooting days. I also have a Nikon 50mm f/1.4. I plan to buy the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 and a Nikon 85mm f/1.4 over the next year or two (or sooner if I find a good price on a used one). I shoot a mix of outdoor and indoor sports and I also do portrait work. I use strobes for the indoor sports and portrait work.

My question is what is the value of the autofocus fine tune? How often is this really needed? Is it only useful for that occasional not-so-good lens copy or is their noticeable improvement for just about every lens? Is it a life-saver? Is it just a very fine tweak that only the most critical observer would notice? If this is something I will value highly, then it might tilt my final decision toward the D700. I need to understand all the value I’m getting before I dish out the extra ~$1400.
Thanks for any advise!
Cheers,
Dan

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What's the Value of the Autofocus Fine Tune Capabil...

G