Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Contemplating a change to Nikon

ColinW

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ColinW Registered since 29th Mar 2009
Thu 02-Apr-09 10:10 PM

I'm seriously contemplating a change to Nikon from Canon and I'd greatly appreciate some feedback about my comments. Why am I "deserting" Canon? Poor quality manufacturing seems to be an insolvable issue for them and in my opinion they've lost credibility with their succession of remedial solutions and fixes. For example, the mirror fell of the 5D, the 5D2 will occasionally hang and has to be recycled, AF often fails in low-light—too many throw-aways, the 1D(s)3 STILL has poor focusing issues in daylight. Enough already!

I'm thinking of buying a D700 and a 24-70/2.8 lens to see how Nikon feels (to me). From reading a few posts at this forum, it seems that the D700 needs a battery grip so that the increased power will enable the D700 to perform better. That is, the extra juice will improve AF response, buffer management, and probably a few other subtle issues as yet unknown (to me). I'd go for the D3 or even the D3X if they had auto sensor cleaning.

A concern I have about the benefit of selecting high ISO is that it doesn't seem to have any indexation to low-light focusing. Just because you can expose at say 6400, doesn't imply that its just as easy to focus at the same speed and aperture at ISO 100. Focusing in low-light has always been an issue for me. It would be nice to not have to use an optional screen over the viewfinder and do manual focusing.

Much of my shooting is tethered. I like to see images on a large screen as I go. The D700 has a wireless add-on, but I can't determine if that precludes an additional battery being used to enable the extra power that the D700 seems to need. I suspect that is does, which may be problematic.

An advantage of the 1Ds3 is the size of the image—still great detail is photos resampled up to 60"x40" at 200 PPI. Has anyone (reading this) enlarged images from the D700 to this size, and how's the detail, particularly if it was shot at 800+ ISO?

Thank you
CW

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Contemplating a change to Nikon