Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Flash Diffuser for on-camera flash? Do they work?

vincentnyc

New York, US
62 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vincentnyc Registered since 24th Mar 2009
Tue 31-Mar-09 05:23 PM

i've been searching for a diffuser for the on-camera flash of my D700.

the most obvious unit available is the Puffer (gary fong). may i ask if anyone has experience using it with the D700?

before springing for an SB-900 or the diminutive SB-400 (so light/small!), i thought that i'd try a diffuser both for the convenience/weight factor, as well as to defer buying a flash unit until such time as i really feel the need for one, or until i have a strong feeling as to whether i'd want the SB-900 or 800 or 600. as of now, i'd want the 900 but dislike the bulk/weight. so i thought that it'd be wise to hold off until i do further research to firm up my own feelings about them.

i may be requested to take pictures of a friend's 3-year old son's birthday party in 2 weeks. as such, i thought that it would be good to have a diffuser.
may i know:

- how well/not well does the gary fong Puffer work? Specifically on the D700, does it fit/work well? i visited his site and saw his short video. is it stable on the D700? results?

- alternatives? i've searched but found few that even looked like they would work properly. there were some but they were remarkably rinky dink-looking.
thanks in advance.

G