Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Two defective D700s returned within 3 months...

venusian

US
186 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Sun 29-Mar-09 07:04 PM

I joined the Nikonians several months ago and am pleased to be a member of such a great group of photography enthusiasts. This is my first post as I am just now getting used to the site.

I wish I could start off on a positive note with my D700 experience. After owning a D70 and a D200, I was very excited to move up to the D700.

My first D700 was purchased towards the end of December 2008. Within 30 days, I had to return it to B&H Photo because images taken with it (1) had a fuzzy, hair-like object in the upper part of the photo and was most obvious when the lens was fully stopped down, (2) there was severe vignetting when the lens was wide open (e.g. f/2.8), and (3) there were numerous dust spots in sky scenes (when I first got the camera I put on an 85mm f/1.4 lens and never took it off). After B&H examined the camera, they sent me a new replacement.

I took several hundred photos with the replacement D700 in slightly less than 2 months until something went wrong. One morning I turned the camera on to take pictures and it wouldn't turn on. The battery was fully charged. I inserted the battery in and out several times and still nothing happened. I tried another fully charged battery and it did not turn on.

I waited several minutes, turned on the camera and it worked. I then took a picture with the camera and the back LCD was totally black where the image was supposed to be. In the upper LCD window was the "Err" message. I switched lenses, switched flash cards, etc. and still got the Err message.

I called Nikon support, explained the situation and they said to send the camera to their Melville, Long Island facility for repair. It has been in their facility for several days. I have had no feedback yet other than an e-mail saying that my camera was in the repair shop.

I feel that after paying hard-earned money for the D700 I should get a new replacement from Nikon instead of a repaired/refurbished one. I called Nikon support and told them so. The person who took my message said she would pass it on.

Am I doing the right thing by asking for a new replacement?

Thank you for reading such a long message and considering my request.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Two defective D700s returned within 3 months...
Reply message RE: Some observations

G