Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sony A700 to D700: Thoughts & Concerns...

vincentnyc

New York, US
62 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vincentnyc Registered since 24th Mar 2009
Tue 24-Mar-09 02:06 AM

Hi All:

First post on Nikonians here:

This is thoroughly exciting for me...as a long time enthusiast in photography (since junior high school/high school, using film/darkroom), i've never once thought that i'd get to the point of getting a camera as good as the D700! Well, folks, it's probably now.

I'm thinking of selling my Sony A700 and 4 lenses, one vertical grip, and getting the D700 instead.

As background in my interest, I enjoy street photography as well as pet photography (I have a whippet).

My concerns include:

- D700 being one year old already. Will Nikon do a D800 or D700Mark II in a few months just to keep up with the 5D Mark II? (btw, i do not care at all about video capabilities). D700 being such a re-design from the D300, maybe bringing out the D800/D700Mark II is not as difficult (changing electronics only?), so the timing may be sooner? Some have said that the life cycle of full frame dslr's are around 3 years (really?), so they think that this is only 1/3 of the way there. i'd have thought that a D800 or D700Mark2 is around the corner, i.e. late summer or Fall of this year. May i ask what your thoughts are?

- will Nikon, being a much smaller company than Canon, be sufficiently negatively impacted by the severe recession that it might be in trouble or "go away"? Obviously, Canon has copy machines, etc. to spread its risks. The recent Ritz Camera shops' debt owed to Nikon is one example of how such a "hit" might impact Nikon even more than Canon.

I fully appreciate the excellent, fast focus (legendary) of the D700. I'm thrilled. Please pardon the negative tone of this first post of mine. This is necessarily so since I'm voicing my concerns - there are so many "pros" or "positives" that it would take pages to list. I'm merely emphasizing my biggest concerns in hopes that I can be efficient in my post so the good folks here will be able to hone in on the essence of my concerns and help me sort out this newbie Nikonian's thinking.

I'm thinking of getting similar lenses for the D700 or its replacement in place of my A700 Sony's lenses. Maybe one with big zoom range, one zoom with wide aperture, one ultra wide angle zoom (love those ultra wide angle lenses - non fish eye), and one macro. I might even be able to skip the zoom with wide aperture since the D700 (or its equivalent) has such fantastic higher ISO performance!

Thank you very much in advance and looking forward to hearing and learning from you all.

G