Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 good news...bad news.

Aviatorbumm

Naperville, US
875 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Aviatorbumm Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2005
Wed 18-Mar-09 05:16 PM | edited Wed 18-Mar-09 05:30 PM by Aviatorbumm

Well, I finally made the plunge….

I picked up a D700 on Friday of last week from B&H Photo and though I did all this with great trepidation, I amazed myself at how much I LOVE this camera. I bought it for the ISO capability and as soon as I got it home did some comparative shots between it and my D300. I know that much has been already written about noise and the D700, but I just gotta weigh in on this topic (please forgive me).

From my perspective, bottom line is that the D700 can handle ISO 1600 just about as well as the D300 can handle ISO400 which was my “limit of preference” with the D300. Kicking it up to ISO3200 gives another stop with very usable results. WOW!

That’s all good, but the other thing is that I can shoot the D700 at ISO800 and it looks as good as ISO200 did on the D300. Again, 2-stops gain with impeccably clean results!

I am now in the process of dealing with the 'dreaded lens focal length issue' and what I’ve found is that I actually like all my lenses even better at the native FX format! This includes all my primes and even the 80-400 which takes on a whole new dimension of usability on FX.

The downside is, of course, the loss of the 1.5 crop factor (I’m not planning on using the DX crop mode) for wildlife shots. But even then there is an upside - I found that I can now hand hold my 80-400 at 400mm and get wonderfully and clean images because I now have the latitude to jump up the ISO to get significantly higher shutter speeds!

The only bad thing (yes, here's the bad news)...I had to sell my much loved 17-55 as I found it just didn’t do very well with FX crop even limiting the FL to 28mm or higher.

But, interestingly enough, my Tokina 12-24 seems to do just great from 18mm and up! Go figure.

Anyway, I thought I’d share my “high” . I’m sure that those of you that already upgraded to the D700 know what I’m talking about.

Regards,

Mike

My Pbase Favorites

My Nikonians Gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 good news...bad news.

G